Your questions answered

How driving licence changes signal cheaper, easier insurance quotes

New MyLicence scheme revealed

New MyLicence scheme revealed

Want to cut the amount you pay for insurance and make sure you’re not being charged extra for expired endorsements or penalties? You need to read on and find out about the all-new MyLicence scheme and how it affects you and your licence.

Designed to help drivers get cheaper and faster insurance quotes, it’s also a new weapon in the fight against fraudulent insurance declarations and out-of-date licences. The scheme is also designed to work in conjunction with new driving licence changes that come into effect on June 8, 2015.

Operated by the DVLA and Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB), the scheme shares digital information held on your driving licence with insurers, which will enable them to produce fast, accurate quotes and protect against unwittingly making false declarations regarding motoring convictions which could invalidate insurance cover.

This will prove useful for drivers who need to check for motoring convictions after the paper counterpart section of the licence is axed in June 2015 – leaving them with no locally held record of endorsements on their licence.

MyLicence – all you need to know

Your questions answered

Your questions answered

Here’s all you need to know about the MyLicence scheme.

What is MyLicence: The new scheme explained
What is MyLicence: This is a scheme that allows insurance companies to check your licence for convictions and entitlements.
What are the benefits of MyLicence: How it might help save time and cash
What are the benefits of MyLicence: The scheme will negate the need to endlessly enter huge amounts of personal details every time you apply for a quote. Participating insurers and price comparison websites will simply need to enter your driving licence number.
Could it save me from invalidated insurance: Stay legal
Could it save me from invalidated insurance: Yes. If you accidentally forget to mention a conviction or other restrictions on your licence, your insurance may not pay out in the event of an accident. The new scheme will provide all pertinent information straight to the insurer when you apply for a quote. Currently, nearly one in five policyholders under-declare the number of motoring convictions they have – some by accident, others maliciously in order to pay a lower premium.
Will it save me money, too: And how much
Will it save me money, too: Yes – it could well do. Research shows 7% of drivers over-declare their convictions and endorsements – meaning they pay too much. The MIB reckons honest drivers will save an average of £15 on their insurance policy. They’ll also pay a lot less in phone charges by swerving the long list of questions they’d otherwise have to answer.
Can my driving licence be accessed again: Once the quote is accepted
Can my driving licence be accessed again: No. Insurers are not allowed to check for new penalties etc during the course of a policy. The contract was accepted on the basis of data provided at the inception of the policy. It can be checked again at the time of renewal.
Is it compulsory: Do I really need to take part
Is it compulsory: No, but insurers can choose to not offer you a quote if you don’t provide your driving licence number. Price comparison sites are particularly unlikely to offer a service to those who withhold their number and ‘self-declare’. The Association of British Insurers says: ‘The customer should be advised that it would be to their advantage to provide access to their data.’ Be warned.
Can named drivers join the scheme: Who else needs to give their number
Can named drivers join the scheme: Yes entering the driving licence number of named drivers could save more money and protect you from invalidated policies, according to the MIB and DVLA.
What information will be passed on to insurers: You need to know
What information will be passed on to insurers: Joining the MyLicence scheme will provide the following information to insurers preparing a quote:

Type of licence held
Length of time the licence has been held for

Entitlements to drive
Penalty points
Convictions
Conviction dates
Disqualifications

Why is it needed: The facts revealed
Why is it needed: The paper counterpart section of a photocard licence is where information on convictions and current penalties is held. With the abolition of this counterpart in June 2015, drivers will have to check online using the View-Driving-Licence service. This may not be convenient at all times. You need your driving licence number and national insurance number to view your details.
Will my licence details be shared: Is it a licence to spam
Will my licence details be shared: Your personal details and driving record will only be used to calculate a motor insurance quote and won’t be shared with anyone. MyLicence adheres to the Data Protection Act 1998, and there are strict controls in place about what data is provided, and how it can be used. The database is being built by a private firm, so if you believe your data is being shared to third parties, make sure you report it.
Will the service help me keep my licence up to date: Beat fines
Will the service help me keep my licence up to date: It could do. Your insurer is allowed to advise if the photocard is out of date or if the postcode on your application and licence does not match. This information could help you dodge fine of up to £1000.
Will parking fines be declared: And cost me more
Will parking fines be declared: Don’t worry, these are not kept on record by the DVLA so won’t be declared.
My record was not available to the insurer: What have I done wrong
My record was not available to the insurer: For roughly one per cent of all cases, the record will be supressed and will not be available to insurers. This is typically due to the record being under maintenance (for example, an address is being changed), and the insurer should not infer anything from this response, other than the need for the individual to self-declare.
Where can I find out more: I am, errr, intrigued
Where can I find out more: Hmm – how about the official website, right here

Help – I don’t know my driving licence number

How to find your driving licence number

How to find your driving licence number

The new MyLicence scheme makes it more likely that many insurance companies won’t issue a quote without your driving licence number, so a mislaid document could leave you without cover in extreme cases.

Help is at hand, with a new DVLA-based system that can help you instantly reveal your driving licence number.

What you’ll need: To find your driving licence number you’ll need the following:

• National insurance number – You can find your National Insurance number on your payslip, P60 or tax return. If not, call 0300 200 3500
  • Postcode: The one that’s on your licence. Remember if this differs from your current address it could also thwart attempts to obtain a motor insurance quote.
  • Your name and date of birth

Find your driving licence number here

Driving licence health check

health Is your licence in rude health? An ailing document – displaying incorrect information such as address or entitlements and spent convictions – could result in your broker refusing to cover you or charging more than necessary. It could also result in your insurance firm refusing to pay out in the event of a claim. Take our driving licence health check to ensure it’s fit to insure.

Incorrect address: How to change it
Incorrect address: Are you one of the 2.6million drivers who haven’t updated their licence with a current address – and risk being slapped with a £1000 fine? Don’t play fast and loose with your cash, simply change the address now.
Change address here
How much: Free
Wrong name: Just married - or divorced
Wrong name: Research reveals that 3% of married women still have their maiden name on their licence. Changing your name on your licence is simple – and free. Firstly, you’ll need to complete a D1form – which you can get from the Post Office or by ordering it online here. You’ll need to send supporting information such as a marriage certificate, decree absolute or Deed Poll certificate. All documentation must be original. You’ll also need to send your photocard and counterpart (if before January 1, 2015), or your old-style paper licence.
Medical change: Tell the DVLA now
Medical change: If you’ve suffered a medical event that could effect your driving, you must contact the DVLA with details. It will then decide if any changes need to be made to your driving licence. These could include giving a shorter licence of 1, 2 or 3 years, demanding that you adapt your car or even give up your licence.
Find out about your medical condition and how it might afffect your licence:
Contact the DVLA here
Out of date photo: Change it or pay the fine
Out-of-date photo: Around 40,000 drivers are currently at risk of a fine for failing to update the photo on their photocard licence. This needs to be done every 10 years and while a reminder is sent out, many people claim the correspondence is confusing. So, check the valid from date on your licence then add 10 years – this is when you need to renew your photo.

Here’s how to change you photocard photo:

By post: Get yourself a D1 form from the Post Office or by calling the DVLA to order one on 0300 790 6801
How much: £17.00

At the Post Office: Take your renewal letter or completed D1 form along to the Post Office – not forgetting a passport style photograph, too.
How much: £24.50

Online: To use this service you will need a valid passport – because this is the photograph that will be used on the licence. Click below to get full details.

Change your licence photo online:
Do it here
How much: £14.00

Expired licence: Here's how to renew or exchange... and how much
Expired licence: Around 2million Brits have an expired licence, according to research from Direct Line – equating to around £2billion in potential fines. Reasons for this could be anything from age to the type of vehicle being driven, so make sure you know when yours need renewing. Here are some costs involved: (These prices are set to fall from 0ctber 31, so will be updated then.)
Reason for renewingFee
Renewing an expired driving licence£17.00 by post or £14.00 online
From age 70Free
For medical reasonsFree
Bus or lorry driversFree
After disqualification£65.00
If disqualified for some drink-driving offences where the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) needs to arrange medical enquiries£90.00
After revocation (under the New Drivers Act)£50.00
Reason for exchangeFee
Add entitlement to full or provisional licenceFree
Paper licence to photocard with change of details (eg, name or address)Free
Removal of expired endorsements£17.00 by post or £14.00 online
Full Northern Ireland licence to a GB licenceFree
Full European Community, European Economic Area or other designated foreign licence, if a previous GB licence heldFree
Northern Ireland licence with a GB test passFree

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *