Give your licence a health check here

Driving licence changes you need to know about… Updated Feb 2015

We’ve already said goodbye to the tax disc – and from June 8, 2015 it’s the turn of your driving licence to fall under the axe – with some significant changes and updates you need to know about.

This is also a good time to give your driving licence a thorough health check at the CDG clinic to ensure you’re not about to be struck down by big fines.

 Driving licence changes – your questions answered

Your paper counterpart will become obsolete from June 8, 2015

Your paper counterpart will become obsolete from June 8, 2015

Here’s our at-a-glance guide to all you need know about driving licence-related changes, fines and other pitfalls that are just waiting to spoil your day.

So what’s the big change?
Unlike the tax disc, your driving licence isn’t being abolished entirely – just the paper counterpart that goes with your photocard.

When is this happening?
The changes take effect from June 8, 2015… so, set your alarm for early o’clock, jump out of bed, tumble jauntily downstairs, locate your paper counterpart and destroy it without delay… or maybe wait to see if the Govt has delayed implementing the changes – again!

What else do I have to do?
Nothing. Providing your details are correct and up to date, your photocard is all you’ll need.

I don’t have a photocard – just an old paper licence. Do I destroy it?
No! If you have an old-style paper licence issued before the photocard was introduced in 1998, you should not destroy it. Furthermore, the green paper licence remains legal and – providing the details are correct – you’re under no obligation to change it to a photo-based version. If you do want to upgrade, though, this can be done for free if you are changing your address, name or adding a driving entitlement . Otherwise, with no change of details, it’ll cost you £17.00 by post or £14.00 for online renewals.

How can I see information about my licence now?
The paper counterpart of your driving licence can be used to tell you how many penalty points you have, when they expire, what classes of vehicles you can drive and when the document itself will expire. So, how will you be able view this vital information once the paper part of your licence disappears? Most of this information is available on the back of the photocard, but is not that clear and easy to read. To help address this, the DVLA has launched its online ‘View Driving Record’ service, which lets you see the data you need by entering your driving licence number, national insurance number and postcode.
View Driving Record: See yours here

Hold on – employers or car hire firms need to see this information, too?
Very true. Many interested parties – such as employers and holiday hire car firms – will want to see the paper counterpart to prove you haven’t got a record for instantly becoming a homicidal psychopath once behind the wheel. Obviously, this won’t be possible with the abolition of the paper counterpart, so the DVLA is developing a new online service to provide your real-time driving data to those who have a genuine reason to request it. The information will only be provided with the knowledge of the licence holder. See our guide to how this could affect you when hiring a car for your overseas holiday here.

I’ve moved and need to change my address… how can I?
The paper counterpart allows you to change your address, so abolishing it could cause confusion for motorists who’ve just moved home and find the additional cost of a £1000 fine somewhat distressing. Not a problem, simply use the DVLA’s online service to change your address.
Change your address: UPdate your driving licence here 

Is that it, then?
Yep! It’s not a huge change, but keeping abreast of such changes will ensure you avoid any problems when hiring a car or checking your validity to drive other types of vehicles. This in turn could save you large amounts of cash in fines.

In fact, many motorists will find the changes helpful by cutting the amount of documents they need to carry while travelling both in the UK and abroad.

Why won’t drivers in Nothern Ireland get the Union Flag on their licence?
A spokesperson for the DVA in Northern Ireland told the Belfast Telegraph: ‘In 2012 it was agreed that, recognising the particular sensitivities surrounding symbols in Northern Ireland, NI driving licences, which are produced for the Driver and Vehicle Agency in Swansea by the DVLA, should continue to be produced without the flag or crest.’

MyLicence: Driving licence changes and insurance quotes – NEW

New MyLicence scheme revealed

New MyLicence scheme revealed

In another new driving licence-based initiative, the MyLicence scheme is designed to help drivers get cheaper insurance quotes and cut the risk of driving without cover by failing to provide correct information about endorsements.

Operated by the DVLA and Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB), the scheme shares digital information held on your driving licence with insurers, which will enable them to produce fast, accurate quotes and protect against unwittingly making false declarations regarding motoring convictions which could invalidate insurance cover.

This will prove useful for drivers who need to check for motoring convictions after the paper counterpart section of the licence is axed in June 2015 – leaving them with no locally held record of endorsements on their licence.

Here’s all the at-a-glance information you need

What is MyLicence: The new scheme explained

What is MyLicence: This is a scheme that allows insurance companies to check your licence for convictions and entitlements.

Is it compulsory: Do I really need to take part

Is it compulsory: No, but insurers can choose to not offer you a quote if you don’t provide your driving licence number. Price comparison sites are particularly unlikely to offer a service to those who withhold their number and ‘self-declare’.

What are the benefits of MyLicence: How it might help save time and cash

What are the benefits of MyLicence: The scheme will negate the need to endlessly enter huge amounts of personal details every time you apply for a quote. Participating insurers and price comparison websites will simply need to enter your driving licence number.

Could it save me from invalidated insurance: Stay legal

Could it save me from invalidated insurance: Yes. If you accidentally forget to mention a conviction or other restrictions on your licence, your insurance may not pay out in the event of an accident. The new scheme will provide all pertinent information straight to the insurer when you apply for a quote. Currently, nearly one in five policyholders under-declare the number of motoring convictions they have – some by accident, others maliciously in order to pay a lower premium.

Will it save me money, too: And how much

Will it save me money, too: Yes – it could well do. Research shows 7% of drivers over-declare their convictions and endorsements – meaning they pay too much. The MIB reckons honest drivers will save an average of £15 on their insurance policy. They’ll also pay a lot less in phone charges by swerving the long list of questions they’d otherwise have to answer.

Can named drivers join the scheme: Who else needs to give their number

Can named drivers join the scheme: Yes and this could save more money and protect you from invalidated policies, according to the MIB and DVLA.

What information will be passed on to insurers: You need to know

What information will be passed on to insurers: Joining the MyLicence scheme will provide the following information to insurers preparing a quote:

Type of licence held
Length of time the licence has been held for
Entitlements to drive
Penalty points
Conviction dates

Why is it needed: The facts revealed

Why is it needed: The paper counterpart section of a photocard licence is where information on convictions and current penalties is held. With the abolition of this counterpart in June 2015, drivers will have to check online using the View-Driving-Licence [] service. This may not be convenient at all times. You need your driving licence number and national insurance number to view your details.

Will my licence details be shared: Is it a licence to spam

Will my licence details be shared: Your personal details and driving record will only be used to calculate a motor insurance quote and won’t be shared with anyone. MyLicence adheres to the Data Protection Act 1998, and there are strict controls in place about what data is provided, and how it can be used.

Will the service help me keep my licence up to date: Beat fines

Will the service help me keep my licence up to date: It could do. Your insurer is allowed to advise if the photocard is out of date or if the postcode on your application and licence does not match. This information could help you dodge fine of up to £1000.

Will parking fines be declared: And cost me more

Will parking fines be declared: Don’t worry, these are not kept on record by the DVLA so won’t be declared.

Where can I find out more: I am intrigued

Where can I find out more: Hmm – how about the official website, right here

Help – I don’t know my driving licence number
With the new MyLicence scheme making it more likely that insurance companies won’t quote without your driving licence number, it’s important to know what it is.

So, if for any reason you can’t get your hands on the number, here’s how to find it online.

What you’ll need: To find your driving licence number you’ll need the following:

National insurance number – You can find your National Insurance number on your payslip, P60 or tax return. If not, call 0300 200 3500
Postcode that’s on the licence
Your name and date of birth

Find your driving licence number here

Urgent update: Changes to how you collect your holiday hire car

Don't be left at the car hire desk without a vehicle

Don’t be left at the airport car hire desk without any wheels: image credit

Are you planning to hire a car for your holiday this summer? Read on to ensure driving licence changes from June 8 don’t leave you marooned at the airport hire desk without any wheels…

Open the guide below for our at-glance-guide to making sure you’re ready to hit the highway as soon as you land…

At-a-glance guide to hire car licence changes: All you need to know here

New driving licence changes coming into effect at the start of the holiday season could cause chaos for travellers picking up their hire cars. Here’s our at-a-glance guide to all you need to know.

What is the problem: The DVLA is axing the paper counterpart that currently accompanies your driving licence photocard. These will cease to have legal standing from June 8.

But how does this affect collecting my holiday hire car: The paper counterpart contains information on penalty points and other traffic offences that hire companies want to check before letting you loose with their car. This will now be held on the DVLA’s database and need to checked online, by phone or post.

This switch to a fully digital system is likely to make it harder for hire firms to check your driving record – and some local overseas firms might not even know the change is coming.

So how will hire car companies check my record: From June 8, travellers will need to log on to the DVLA’s website the day before they fly, enter their driving licence and national insurance number to obtain an access code that’ll allow a car hire company to check their details via the internet when they arrive.

Sounds straight forward: In theory, but there are some issues that could cause big problems. For instance, the system is still being tested and no website address has been released. A DVLA spokesman told us it will ‘definitely’ be ready for June 8, but there’s no guarantee it would have been fully tested by then.

How long does the code last for: The code will be valid for 72 hours, so anyone hiring a car more than three days into their holiday will need to logon and get a new code – potentially incurring hefty mobile data charges if they don’t have access to free Wi-Fi.

Is there any other way: Yes. If you have access to a computer you can download your driver ‘record’ on a PDF document, print it out and show it to the hire car company. However, some motoring organisations are concerned firms could be reluctant to accept this.

What if I forget to get an access code or to download a PDF: Arrive at the hire car desk without any of the above and the operator could be forced to ring the DVLA’s premium rate helpline, which costs up to £3 a minute. Guess who’ll be paying …

Do I need internet access to use the service: No, the DVLA spokesman assured us that the system will have an associated phone number for drivers to call and obtain a code.

I have the old-style paper licence – is that okay: Yes, old-style paper licences are still legal and providing they are up to date, should be accepted at the hire desk as proof of your driving record.

So can you quicky run this by me again: Yes – just do the following…

Online: Logon to the DVLA website (address to be announced) the day before your flight, enter your driving licence number and National Insurance number. You will receive a code to give to the hire car company when you collect your car. Don’t lose this code.

Print: Logon to the DVLA site, as above, then download and print a copy of your record to give to the hire car company.

By phone: Call the DVLA – no number has been announced yet – give them your driving licence and National Insurance in return for an access code. Make sure you take it with you.

Don’t forget: Take your driving licence and National Insurance number with you – just in case you lose your access code or have a change of plans and decide to hire a car.

And now the good news… price cuts from 31/10/14

The cost of buying or renewing your licence is set to fall by 30% from October 31, 2014

The cost of buying or renewing your licence is set to fall by 30% from October 31, 2014

The cost of getting or renewing a driving licence has been cut following a public consultation. The new prices include the following reductions and came into effect from 0ctober 31, 2014.

New provisional licence: Falls from £50.00 to £34.00 online or £43.00 by post
Renewals: Fall from £20.00 to £14.00 online or £17.00 by post

We’ll update the full price list when it comes into effect

Driving licence health check…

Give your licence a health check here

Give your licence a health check here

Your driving licence can suffer from many administrative ills, so take our health check-up to help avoid painful fines. We’ve got the problems and cures right here…

Incorrect address: How to change it

Incorrect address: Are you one of the 2.6million drivers who haven’t updated their licence with a current address – and risk being slapped with a £1000 fine? Don’t play fast and loose with your cash, simply change the address now.
Change address here
How much: Free


Wrong name: Just married - or divorced

Wrong name: Research reveals that 3% of married women still have their maiden name on their licence. Changing your name on your licence is simple – and free. Firstly, you’ll need to complete a D1form – which you can get from the Post Office or by ordering it online here. You’ll need to send supporting information such as a marriage certificate, decree absolute or Deed Poll certificate. All documentation must be original. You’ll also need to send your photocard and counterpart (if before January 1, 2015), or your old-style paper licence.
How much: Free

Medical change: Tell the DVLA now

Medical change: If you’ve suffered a medical event that could effect your driving, you must contact the DVLA with details. It will then decide if any changes need to be made to your driving licence. These could include giving a shorter licence of 1, 2 or 3 years, demanding that you adapt your car or even give up your licence.
Find out about your medical condition and how it might afffect your licence: Contact the DVLA here
How much: Free

Out of date photo: Change it or pay the fine

Out-of-date photo: Around 40,000 drivers are currently at risk of a fine for failing to update the photo on their photocard licence. This needs to be done every 10 years and while a reminder is sent out, many people claim the correspondence is confusing. So, check the valid from date on your licence then add 10 years – this is when you need to renew your photo.

Here’s how to change you photocard photo:

By post: Get yourself a D1 form from the Post Office or by calling the DVLA to order one on 0300 790 6801
How much: £17.00

At the Post Office: Take your renewal letter or completed D1 form along to the Post Office – not forgetting a passport style photograph, too.
How much: £24.50

Online: To use this service you will need a valid passport – because this is the photograph that will be used on the licence. Click below to get full details.
Change your licence photo online: Do it here
How much: £14.00

Expired licence: Here's how to renew or exchange... and how much

Expired licence: Around 2million Brits have an expired licence, according to research from Direct Line – equating to around £2billion in potential fines. Reasons for this could be anything from age to the type of vehicle being driven, so make sure you know when yours need renewing. Here are some costs involved: (These prices are set to fall from 0ctber 31, so will be updated then.)

Reason for renewingFee
Renewing an expired driving licence£17.00 by post or £14.00 online
From age 70Free
For medical reasonsFree
Bus or lorry driversFree
After disqualification£65.00
If disqualified for some drink-driving offences where the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) needs to arrange medical enquiries£90.00
After revocation (under the New Drivers Act)£50.00

Reason for exchangeFee
Add entitlement to full or provisional licenceFree
Paper licence to photocard with change of details (eg, name or address)Free
Removal of expired endorsements£17.00 by post or £14.00 online
Full Northern Ireland licence to a GB licenceFree
Full European Community, European Economic Area or other designated foreign licence, if a previous GB licence heldFree
Northern Ireland licence with a GB test passFree

Beware of licence fraudsters

Don't respond to emails asking you to give personal details

Don’t respond to emails asking you to give personal details

Changes to the driving licence have led to an increase in fraudsters attempting to exploit the confusion and trick drivers into giving out personal details. These can then be used to gain access to bank accounts or other forms of identity theft.

How does the scam work: Drivers are sent an email claiming to be from the DVLA. The communication asks motorists to use a link to a copycat version of the DVLA’s website, where they’re asked to verify their driving licence details.

Do not respond: The DVLA has not sent out an email and would never ask licence holders to divulge information through an unsolicited email or phone call. Do not click the link or give any information. If the DVLA want to contact you, it will do so by post.

Don’t respond to phone calls: As a rule, you should never disclose any personal details – such as date of birth, passwords, pin numbers, passport number, address etc – in response to an unsolicited phone call – even if the caller claims to be from the police or your bank.

Don’t call back: Many scammers use a technique where they ask the ‘victim’ to call them back, to give the impression it’s a genuine call. Many phone lines allow the fraudster to stay on the line, so despite you putting the phone down dialling the correct number, you are still connected to the crook. If you really think you should call back, check the number is genuine, then dial from a different phone.

New scam alert from DVLA – April 2015

DVLA has warned of an email scam asking drivers to verify their driving licence and vehicle tax details via an online link. In some cases the email quotes a 16 digit reference number, telling drivers they’re due a refund for part-payment made when taxing their vehicle. Drivers are then asked to verify their bank details via an online link.

The DVLA will never send any unsolicited email or other correspondence asking for bank details or passwords. Simply ignore it and visit to report it.

Changes to how your driving licence is managed is expected to create more such scams and ‘phishing’ emails – made more likely by the online checking systems that replace the outgoing paper counterpart.

We’ll update scam warnings as they appear, so check back regularly.

Driving licence to get Union Flag

Union Flag on licences has proved controversial

Union Flag on licences has proved controversial

Anyone applying for a new driving licence, or renewing a current one will now fly the flag for Britain, with the Government revealing plans for the document to display the Union Flag alongside the European Union standard.

The changes will apply to motorists in England, Scotland and Wales. However, drivers in Northern Ireland will not be included.

Transport Minister Claire Perry said: ‘People in this country rightly take pride in our national flag which is why I am delighted it will now be displayed on British driving licences.’


However, the move has proved controversial for pro-independence supporters in Scotland and Wales, while some members of the community in Northern Ireland are unhappy about being excluded from the change.

Are you proud to fly the flag? Tell us your thoughts here…

Don’t smile… take a new photo for your licence

Photos for your driving licence photocard should adhere to the same guidelines as those demanded by your passport pic (you won’t need to get it signed, though). Getting the photo right can be tedious or expensive if you go to a pro, so why not download this handy app to do the work for you?

Download the app here 


Related content: Parking tickets

Parking-header-(1)Dangerous parking deserves to be punished, but getting a ticket that you believe to be wrong can be infuriating. Find out your options here.

Parking guide here 

124 thoughts on “Driving licence changes you need to know about… Updated Feb 2015

    1. David Barraclough

      Hi Joe,
      There’s an online service run by the DVLA run in real time that you can look up your details on. Ask you need are your driving licence number, national insurance number and postcode.
      Hope this helps.
      KR, David

    2. you numpty

      Simple.. if u go to court an get 3 points u know u have 3 points… If u go to court again sometime later an get more points IE : Another 3 you eill have 6 points .. but after 3 years of getting 3 points points, they are no longer declairable.. maths really like

    3. richard cecil

      Well if you are alert and keep an eye on the road ahead you. Are unlikely to get any. Nopolnts mean no worries

    4. Jude

      I need to hire a car immediately, have just tried to generate the new code required from DVLA to access paperless driving licence and it won’t let me. Just realised that my NI number is still in my maiden name whilst me driving licence has been updated to my married name. Is there a way around this on the spot?

  1. Gary Bowles

    Interesting to read about car hire firms and employers requiring access to driving data. Would this service also be available to Driving Instructors so they too can check a pupils’ entitlement to drive??

  2. Gordon Brown

    Smile…take a new photo for your licence? Hardly good advice, is it?

    NO smiling for your photo – read the rules.

  3. Kathryn Barlow

    I want to get my daughter a provisional liscence as part of her xmas present , will i be able to do this on line and will it be in time please ?

    1. Hayz2014

      No you won’t without her knowledge as she needs to sign the application form. You can only renew your licence online

  4. Bob Hildreth

    Having read your page over the counterpart driving licence, as a Driver Trainer for a chemical tanker company I like to verify information.

    I cannot find any sort of confirmation on this article on the DVLA website. Where did you source this information from.

  5. Christopher Powell

    I am a British ex-pat now living permanently in Thailand. My UK Driving licence is still current but with my old UK address still on it. I still need my UK Driving Licence for the times I visit UK or EU countries and want to rent a car. How do I overcome this anomaly please?

      1. David Game

        Using a driving license in the UK with an invalid address on it invalidates the license making you technically an unlicensed driver. If you don’t have a permanent UK address anymore, then you have to surrender the UK license and drive on the Thai one (if you have one.) If you’re in the UK for more than (I believe) a year, you have to then re-apply for a UK license. I’m willing to be corrected on this however, but I’m pretty sure if it’s illegal for me to present a photocard/license with my old address on, it’s certainly illegal for you!

  6. V. E. Price

    Very interesting read. What annoyed me was discovering that I was under no obligation to have a photo license. I was stopped by a police officer once and presented my paper license. Hr informed me that I should get a new photo card license to avoid future prosecution.
    In this case, can I now revert to my paper license and not have the “legalised extortion” of purchasing a new card every ten years?

  7. stan Pridmore

    it is a great idea, in am in my 70s and computer literate, the only thing that concerns me is the amount of people that don’t have any access to any type of computer, or no one to help them, what will they do?

  8. Phil Bond

    I’m not sure all of the information contained within this piece is correct because as we understand the ‘old style’ paper licence is going and will be going 1st. It’s all part of the governments ‘Red Tape’ challenge to get rid of all paper to do with the licence!!

    1. Pete Barden Post author

      No – the old-style paper licence is and will remain legal. The Photocard paper counterpart is going.

    1. Pete Barden Post author

      No – keep your pink licence (I prefer my green one, though) and only change it when it expires or the details need updating.

  9. nigel taylor

    When are you lot guna waken up. OCD speed. Idiots driving like idiots cause accidents. Not speed. Nothing is ever done about bad drivers. Slaming around. No indication. Erratic driving. Sliproad slaming. Lane slaming. Tail gating. You will never cure the problem untill you get rid of OCD speed. I am an HGV driver of 35 years haing drivem well over 3 million miles. I am well qualified to comment on the real cause of accidents. I see it every day. How many more people have to die before you OCD speed freaks waken up. All proffessional drivers will aggree with me. All safety partnerships and polive forces will dissaggree. But that’s because there information comes from twisted staristiks learnt in a classroom by teachers that learnt in a classroom.

    1. I cogan

      some of you so called Professional drivers need to go have refreshers on driving, I’ve seen some appalling actions on motorways ,no indication,nipping into fast lanes,barging through with no consideration.So don’t be having a pop at Mr average,get your own house in order first.Mr pro.

      1. terry

        you can check if the site has not gone down which is a regular occurance. also with regards to hgv and pcv drivers we have to attend 35 hours cpc where as the main idiots who need it ….car drivers.also driving instructors should be made by law to attend not to mention sales reps and taxi drivers

  10. Ian John George Betts

    I don’t see why the government needs to check my tax council and benefit status to see a I am who say I am . How otherwise do I know my license no my national no ad my postcode .
    B what do they have to do with my driving license

  11. John Hughes

    In the paragraph headed -” I don’t have a photocard “, it states that to upgrade from the paper License to a PhotoCard there will be no charge – “If you do want to upgrade, though, this can be done for free.” Is this right as I paid the requested £20 to make the change, also my wife has refused to pay the £20 as her paper license doesn’t expire for many years.

  12. David McLeod

    My licence has the wrong date of birth. One month out. Have informed DVLA and they sent me a new licence exactly the same as the one I sent back. When I rang them they said it did not matter. Can I trust that statement?

    1. Pete Barden Post author

      I would not trust that statement. The details are wrong and could leave you open to a fine. Either insist they change it or get it in writing that it ‘doesn’t matter’.

  13. tony

    I would keep the paper part, as this is the only proof you have for your entitlement, keep all old records (red books bule pink ect), as my partner is now in a fix as DVLA have “lost” her information and she doesn’t have a licence to drive, yet she still has ler licence on her in her possession. If DVLA loose your information YOU the driver have to prove you are entitled to drive.
    My partner passed her test in `77 and is now impossible to get her old info as the records dont go back that far as her test center dont exist and her instructor is deceased etc.

    ATM I hold 5 copies of my licence with old addresses and changes, as this is the only proof I have. DVLA have had a mass of problems of missing info on drivers and most have had to retake tests.
    So again DONOT destroy KEEP IN A SAFE PLACE!

    1. Jasmin

      Just to make you aware, there was been a fire at a DVLA archive centre many moons ago and that’s were information may have gone missing.

  14. Vikky Cooke

    my Christian name was spelt wrong on my licence every time I’ve sent it back to update it you still send it back spelt wrong?

  15. Cathryn Williams

    im getting married next year. I intend to keep my old name not use my married name. Do I have a legal requirement to change on my driving licence?

    1. Pete Barden Post author

      Hi Cathryn (congrats on your upcoming nuptials) if a recently married woman chooses to use her maiden name she could keep her maiden name on her driving licence if she wishes – and would not be required to put her married name on her licence. That’s what the DVLA have told me, so it’s entirely your decision and rightly so.

  16. Chris Gell

    Without the need for a paper counterpart, are points automatically removed when they have expired or do you still need to apply for their removal?

    1. Pete Barden Post author

      These should be removed automatically because they will only be held in digital form after January. You should not be charged for this. On the other hand, you should check they are removed to avoid any problems with insurance etc. You can do this for free here:

  17. Rachel Roberts

    i cannot locate the paper part of my license and i need to change my address. If they are getting rid of the paper part why do i have to pay then to change address

  18. debbie saunders

    I got a conviction on my paper licence which comes off next March if I don’t have paper bit then how do u remove them from your photo card bit

  19. gary waite

    Hi I’m a lgv driver and next year i will turn 45 so normally you have a medical but on my card licence the date is 2018 I’ve asked my boss and the trainer who does the CPC they both said go with the date on your license but that means I will be 48 can you give me any advice to what I should do.

  20. mark winwood

    I believe this is rubbish the dvla would let all company’s and business’s know of these changes months in advance like they did with the tax disc.
    If you do distort the paper part it will cost you to get it replaced.

  21. Caroline Davison-Hall

    I need to change my name, address, picture and add a category to my licence. Can this all be done on the internet or do I need to go to the post office? Thanks in advance.

    1. Pete Barden Post author

      It is annoying I know, but there are options to do all these things by post or at the Post Office – it just seems that a few people don’t comprehend that not everyone is required by law to be online…

  22. Jenny Preen

    I live in Spain. This makes an EU British licence invalid as you cannot have a non British address on a British licence. Also in Spain you start with a number of points on your licence and lose them for offences. When you get to zero you lose your licence. If you have no offences for a number of years you get bonus points. None of this can be done on a British licence. I would assume the same applies to British licence holders in any EU country if the system is different. Some Brits in Spain use a family uk address but this does not get over the points system and Guardia Traffico may point this out if you are stopped, but then again only if they can be bothered.

    1. Pete Barden Post author

      It’s even better news – it’s £14.00 not £17.00. The price cut took effect on Oct 31st as you can see in our ‘good news’ section. Thanks

  23. Alun

    This is wonderful news for anyone (like my mother and sister) who does not have access to the internet.

    They will just be forced into illegality for not being able to change their address when they move.

    Yet another example of the ivory towered beurocrats assuming that everyone has the ability to update their details on line.

    Just like when the minister for employment announced that people would be able to register and update their benefit and incapacity claims using their iPads… How the hell can anyone on benefits afford an ipad! The Whitehall fools that pass this legislation are totally disconnected from the real world yet act surprised when nobody votes for them.


  24. Eddie O'Donnell

    I get that DVLA will, supposedly, allow access for car hire companies within the UK to check their systems for drivers’ details. However, I drive a lot in Canada & the US and for this I need car / bike / RV hire. How can I continue with this without the paper counterpart? I cannot find an answer on the DVLA site.
    Thanks in advance.

  25. Diane Steiner

    My pink paper licence expires in May 2015 when I will be 70. Can I wait until then to renew my licence to a plastic one?

    1. Pete Barden Post author

      Yes – you certainly can and we would recommend that you do. Otherwise you’ll need to pay to update your photo earlier.

  26. chris whalley

    As for the union jack I am english not British anyone can be British yes I am proud to be english not British so st. George cross would be more apt please and thankyou


  27. Jim wilkinson

    I am a Scottish Nationalist and find it extremely insulting to have the union flag on my licence. I would like to see a saltire on my licence to display my nationality.

  28. ian Stewart

    I’m a Scottish national & find it degrading we have to fly the union flag, not everyone agrees with the union jack

  29. fiona morris

    I find it extremely insulting to have to display the union Jack on my driving licence, I am Scottish and my flag is the Saltire and if there must be a flag on it , it should be the Saltire.

  30. Lauren Blow

    Hi, I recently got married and have the form to change my name on my licence. Iknew it’s free to change my name but I have unfortunately lost my photocard (I still have the paper counterpart) do I need to pay, also how much? And do I still just apply for a name change or replacement?

  31. Paul cranidge

    I renewed my driving license November 2014 would I of got the paper part with it, if so I can not find it what do I need to do

    1. Pete Barden Post author

      You should have got it with the licence. The paper counterpart is not being axed until June, so hiring a car etc will be difficult without it until that date.

  32. Robert Stevenson

    On my online check it says an old endorsement has a removal date of 6th July 2015 and yet in the print out part that you can share it said my endorsement expired on 6th July 2014. What is the difference between an ‘Expired Date’ and a ‘Removal Date’?

  33. kelly webb

    Hi could someone help me i have got married and i was sendin my licence to get changed do i need ti send photos r not??

    1. Pete Barden Post author

      Changing your name on your licence is simple – and it’s free. You’ll need to complete a D1form – which you can get from the Post Office or by ordering it here. You’ll need to send supporting information such as a marriage certificate, decree absolute or Deed Poll certificate. All documentation must be original. You’ll also need to send your photocard, or your old-style paper licence

  34. t. roulston

    I passed my P.S.V. test to drive public bus’s, in 1963, it was done in scotland and at that time EDINBURGH issued the said licence, and I started work as BUS DRIVER, my age is 71 years old, and have had the medical and eye test for my H.G.V. licence, what do I have to do to get the P.S.V. part put back on my licence?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *